The Flyer

The Flyer
'What Do You Call it?'

Tuesday 26 January 2010

Will Black people ever be on time?

WILL we ever be on time?

YES –by Gbontwi Anyetei
But of course! Anything white people can do Black people can do better! Black People's Time, Coloured People's Time, G.M.T (Ghana Maybe Time)African Time...These are myths! Conspiracies even! Maybe. Some Black people already ARE on time, right? I’ve seen it. So have you, right?
In fact, it is because somebody arrived on time that you can tell that the people coming in just now are late. INDEED it is because that they know others will be on time and envy them that many latecomers are so. They hope people will watch them and ask enviously "OH…I wish my clocks were broken so". "I wish our car was limited to the slow cruising speed that delivered you here hours after my sadly efficient car got me here with plenty of parking spaces to choose from".

NO –by Gbontwi Anyetei
I think not. The timely individuals my learned friend above talks of are just that. Individuals! Might makes right and the might of the latecomers shall always be mightier! Without them ‘the party’ really can’t get started properly. It is because of the OTHER late people that those who might have been on time will ensure they're also late TOO! It is the latecomers that the early ones keep looking to the door for. The women won’t settle for invitations from those on time because there might be better choices coming along especially if those men are late because they’re making money. Vice versaly, the men won’t settle for the on-time women because the women still on their way might be late because their bums are bigger and they have experienced problems with transportation as a result.

I was born in Africa (West Africa where the BLACK-Black people are and not in the North where the confused Africans are) in 1982 to Black parents and surrounded by Black people. Four years later I moved to Hackney, East London. More Black people. None of the people I know in life are ever on time for everything. My grandmother is late for everything except church, my father will be late for everything except serious business opportunities, and my mum is just late for everything.

All my friends are interesting or cool and fun to be around. None of my friends are ever on time. All the people I have met in life that are regularly on time…haven’t been Black. Neither are they interesting, cool or fun to be around. So is that what it is? Does being interesting, cool and fun to be around mean you literally cannot be on time?! I think it might.

The English (When I say English I mean one of the countries white people from) are an on time. While they controlled most of Africa, Africans took on most of their habits and customs: Christianity, monogamy, depression. Even now, hospitality, tribes, loyalty are not what they were in Africa or amongst the diaspora. But ‘lateness’ remains with us! It is the last bastion of Africanness.

So, we're late. We can't change it even if we wanted to -which we don't. Many a comedian would be without material if Black people started arriving to things on time. This blog you're reading wouldn't exist if Black people arrived to things on time.
Let us then embrace it. When Ancient Rome realised they couldn't beat Christianity they embraced it. They took it over and made it theirs and almost completely unrecognisable from what Jesus left behind. Let us do the same. Let us be late in new and fascninating and suprising ways! We can have reasons that are as inventive as they are unreasonable or we can offer no excuse! To even apologise for being late would be to suggest you ever intended to be on time. To apologise would be an insult to the intelligence of the receiver. To offer an 'explanation' would be a waste of a perfectly good lie you can use for something else later (Get it? 'Later?').
I was once kept waiting by a date who apologised for being 3 1/2 hours late. I pointed out she was only 2 1/2 hours late. (A daylight saving time snaffu). She was actually dissapointed with herself. This is the kind of dedication to the cause I exhort all others to. Let us be SO unpredictable in how late we will be that it would take a book-long mathematical equation to equate our time of arrival. Just like that, every so often we'll accidentally get to business meetings (that we weren't expected to until the next day) not all as late as all that. At that point we can split the monies between us and leave before the white people arrive!

The sun shines differently in Africa so the clocks to which we move will always be out of sync!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so inspired by this call to arms! I will never be so predictable with my lateness again

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you learned something. The movement starts here!

    ReplyDelete