The Flyer

The Flyer
'What Do You Call it?'

Tuesday 26 January 2010

Should we make 'Urban' the new 'N' word?

The case for and against ‘urban’
A lot gets made of whether White people should get to say the N word. I say we hold off on that debate until we sort out this ‘urban’ word because for some intents and purposes urban could become the new ‘N’ word. Some of you won’t know what I’m talking about. Particularly if you’re a architecture, town planning student the wood urban won’t mean at all what I’m about to talk about. Madonna makes a music video wearing a kimono and waving chopsticks around it’s Chinese themed. It’s fair enough. Justin Timberlake sings R&B, dances like MJ and wears his hair in corn-rows. He’s ‘urban’. I hadn’t noticed this urban phenomenon until The New Nation newspaper (may it in rest in peace) started censoring the word. Like this: ‘urb*n’.

Let me get something real clear real quick. I use the word for urban. Sorry everybody. AND I use it without the asterisk. Oh yes, and I say 'grime' when I’m talking about Kano, Wiley and them. Grime music comes from streets beset by urban decay and poverty induced situations. Some say it should be called Black music because that’s what it is. BUT, black music is also:

Jazz, acid Jazz, Blues, Soul, neo-Soul, Funk, Funky House, Bossa Nova, Samba, Hip-Hop, Rock&Roll, Barbershop, Bluegrass, Cajun, Zydeco, Country (yeah I said it!), Disco, garage, jungle, Doo Wop, Gospel, Reggae, Rocksteady, bebop, Latin, Ska, R&B, Swing, Nobody accapellas like we either. Even punk, heavy metal, and most good Pop.

So if the media was to use the word Black music –there’d be all kinds of confusion all over the map. You get me? Urban (or urb*n) makes sense because they can't call grime, rap or funky house Black music because ALLLLLL music is Black. Okey, not ALL. The Swedish have yodelling. That’s all them I believe.

So when I say urban I mean the music young Blacks are making right now that is p!ssing society off and that White boys will start making in a couple of years. So if YOU reader are media and you’re using the word the same way then you and I get no problem. But if you are part of THEY saying urban because they're afraid to say Black or African in case they (the same same they as earlier I this sentence) mess around and let Black people feel good about ourselves...THAT I don't like!

That’s all I’ve got to say about that. These blogs won’t always be long. What do you want? I’m not getting paid for this. If you wanted me to kill some more of your time why not youtube some of those music types above. You might find something you like better than the likes Lil’Wayne, Soulja Boy or whoever blows next out of ‘I’m a Big X Factor, Get Me Out of Here!’

No comments:

Post a Comment