The Flyer

The Flyer
'What Do You Call it?'

Monday 22 March 2010

Neither Losing or Loosing!

I went to the theatre yesterday and learnt a lot from it. Not from the actual show –you understand. The female characters were all crazy and the male characters contemptible. They were all cold, amoral, weak…and not in the good way. In short I enjoyed the show immensely BUT if I had learned something from it that would make me a very mixed up individual –in need of prayer and therapy…electroshock therapy.

What I learnt from was the production itself. If I’ve got my count right this performance was rescheduled once and relocated three times. I ‘m not going to ask what was behind all the chaos in the build-up all it will take the sheen off what I’m hoping happened. What I was hoping had happened was the powers that be (THEY) felt the subject material was going to be too powerful and revolutionary for US to see. There was some confusion between the Facebook events pages and invites as to whether the play was called ‘Love Is A Losing Game’ or ‘Love Is A Loosing Game’. Either way –you can understand I had to go see THIS show! Eventually after wavering between whether this play would be shown in west, south London they determined on north so with my sister in tow that’s where I headed.

Star of the show was–Vanessa Vanderpuye –this woman is so stunning –she makes you want to re-evaluate your life! (her link this: http://www.starnow.co.uk/vanessavanderpuye it’s sort of a beautiful people’s Facebook.

In one night in Archway, I re-established a few things that are always good to establish and re-establish: 1)Black talent in London is alive, LIVE and very healthy. Did I mention that the other actors supplied plenty of electricity and humour and vibrancy to the whole thing. I was especially able to pay attention to them when Ms.Vanderpuye wasn’t on stage. Yup, they were talented and they mightcould all be going places 2) Black people support each other’s art. 3) We don’t need bouncers everywhere we go. Like I said the mostly packed out audience was mostly a Black crowd and the only security on the night was a shady looking brother in combat trousers and a doo-rag. We’re in 2010. A doo-rag? Really?

My St Lucian connection Jose Torso and his xsclubbin production company (http://www.xsclubbing.com/)are trying to do in the West Indies what Gbontwi Anyetei (that’s me) and his Hackdongā movement is trying to do right here in England then later America. First up is a soap to be followed by a theatre set that will tour England starting and or ending in London. In collaborating with him I’ll have to learn from the talented and young people that put on yesterday’s WICKED performance.

ANYwaaaaay, I’ve decided I need to be going to the plays more. I understand there’s a lot of unsuspecting available Black women there that are impressed with any Black man that is upping his culture and not off shooting police.

2 comments:

  1. hahahahaha! yup go more often! theatre is nothing short of amazing and when its done right inspiring! (maybe i'll bump into you some day)

    ReplyDelete