The Flyer

The Flyer
'What Do You Call it?'

Sunday 8 August 2010

'Coz Ov Moni'

Apologies for the long delay in my posts. I've been dealing with various publishing woes, woman trouble (posts pending) and post-Suarez depressions.

You like my parole officers will be getting details of whereabouts and my goingz-onz. Let's start with a film premiere I was of course late to because of chicken eating. The premiere was for ‘Coz Ov Moni’ -a film from Accra entirely dialogued in song and lyrics (with subtitles for non-Pidgin speakers).

Check out the youtube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhKbiYohn6k

This is the sort of film that should be coming out of Africa. It’s original, stylish, funny. are consummate traits in Ghanaian art and culture and designs but in sn attempt to keep up with the Jones (read: The West...or Nigeria depending on the conversation we’re having) TV and music is becoming more and more predictable and materialistic.

Not ‘Coz Ov Moni’. The first ever pidgin musical. Starring one of hiplifes better beat innovators M3nsa and the Wanlov The Kubolor -a Rastafarian in a skirt -what more could you possibly want from a movie!?! I'm not friends with these guys so this is a GENUINE unsolicited biggup!

Watch out for this film and inevitable sequels. It belongs to the ‘Friday’ school of storylines. I.E. it’s about two men trying to get through a day in their neighbourhood dealing with others with as much style as possible.

I foresee stage musicals and (most probably inferior) copycats. I of course have my autographed copy of film and soundtrack and I'm not sure how you can obtain a copy of the VCD but I'll update this blog when I can about how you can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment